At Blue Skies Space, we are transforming the way high-quality scientific data is delivered from space by launching an independent fleet of low-Earth orbit astronomy and planetary science spacecraft.
We are seeking people to help us achieve our vision of providing the global research community with the cutting-edge space facilities and data they need to answer humanity’s greatest scientific questions.
Mauve Project Scientist
Blue Skies Space Italia S.R.L. is seeking to fill the position of “Project Scientist” for the upcoming Mauve Space Mission.
The successful applicant will be part of a new Italian team working in close collaboration with Dr Giovanna Tinetti, Chief Scientist, Dr Billy Edwards, Company Scientist and Ian Stotesbury, Lead Systems Engineer to use and develop data analysis and instrument performance simulations to assess the mission capabilities to fulfil its science objectives. The role will require supporting the interfacing with scientists and industrial partners to refine and improve spacecraft simulations. The Project Scientist will be responsible for the development and use of the project radiometric tool, working with the lead systems engineer and reporting to the Mauve project manager.
The successful applicant will have a PhD in Astrophysics or related research area. Candidates will be expected to have a working knowledge of a structured programming language, ideally python. Good experience in the science data processing, error correction, and calibration. Knowledge of UV Astrophysics, including photometric and spectroscopic data analysis, would be ideal.
Mauve is a multi-year UV spectrometry space science mission being built by Blue Skies Space, C3S in Hungary and ISISpace in the Netherlands that will characterise stars and celestial objects in our galaxy.
Mauve Project Manager
- PhD or MSc in Astrophysics, Computational Physics or related field
- Good initiative and capable to perform solo working
- Knowledge of stellar characterisation
- Experience in computational science analysis or data processing
- Knowledge of spacecraft instrumentation
Applicants are encouraged to provide links to example code/code repository
- Responsible for leading Mauve project science analysis
- Refining and developing radiometric tools to analyse new science topics
- Interfacing with the UK Engineering and Software team to refine time domain end-to-end project simulation
- Support conversations with prospective scientists to understand science goals
Full time. The place of work can include working from home (“smart working”) arrangements subject to work requirements and agreement with the team. Regular office presence will be expected Occasional international travel may be required